What Do You Think About When Choosing A Childminder...
It can be an extremely stressful and unnerving time for parents when trying to find a trustworthy childminder to look after children, whether it is just for a couple of hours childcare or several days.
Here at SCA we aim to make the experience much easier for you, linking you with a childminder we think will be most suited to your child. We can guarantee that all the childminders registered at SCA have the relevant qualifications and training, all are DBS checked on the update service and checked termly (as are members of their household), have all necessary documentation and have suitable premises for childminding.
First of all it would be good for you to do some research and make a shortlist of all the childminders available in your area. When looking for a childminder there are a few things you should consider such as what days you will need childcare so you can search for childminders with the appropriate vacancies, if you would be happy with the childminder having pets etc.
When you have a shortlist of childminders you should arrange a visit to the childminder when they are working to see their interaction with other children and have a look around the setting. Whilst on the visit you should consider if you're happy with what you see, is the setting clean and hygienic? Is there enough space? (including indoor and outdoor play area). This visit will give you the opportunity to ask any questions you want, here are a few examples of what you may want to ask:
- Why did you choose to become a childminder?
- How old are your children?
- Can you describe a typical day within your home? (Outings, regular visits toddler group..)
- How do you manage behaviour?
- What sort of activities will my child get involved with?
- Do you ever go out in the car? (All 'Agency' childminder's should have business use Insurance)
- Are parents given information about their child's progress and achievements?
- What happens in case of accidents and emergencies? (Procedures or Sickness)
- Do you offer cooked meals, are snacks included?
- Do you offer FREE trial/settling In sessions?
- Do you except Tax Free Childcare/Childcare Vouchers?
- Funding......Do you except Early Year Funding?
- Can I use my funding all year round (Funding can be claimed 6am-8pm Monday to Sunday 7 days a week )
- Do you pick up from Pre-school/Nursery?...
- Can I have stretched funding over the year...