Information for Parents
Finding someone suitable to look after your child is a massive undertaking, whether you need just a couple of hours childcare or several days. It can be quite an unnerving prospect leaving your child with someone you don’t know. Here at the SCA, we aim to make this experience easier for you. Linking you with a childminder whom we think will be most suited to your child.
We can guarantee that all childminders registered with the SCA have the relevant qualifications and training. All are DBS checked and on the update service, as are the members of their household. We have ensured they have all their documentation and have satisfied ourselves that their premises is a suitable venue for childminding.
Another advantage of engaging with an SCA registered childminder is that if for any reason they are unable to have your child, we will do our utmost to find you alternative provision.
Some things to consider when looking for a childminder
- Know the days you need childcare so you can search for a childminder with the appropriate vacancies
- Would you be happy if the childminder has pets?
- Early years funding, can you stretch your funding over the school holidays! (All SCA childminders are registered to receive Early Years Funding)
- Tax-free childcare (SCA registered childminders are automatically registered)
Before you commit, arrange to visit the childminder when he/she is working. Ask to see the house and understand where your child will eat, sleep, play. Are you happy with what you see? Is it clean and hygienic? What is the childminders interaction like with the other children? Have some questions ready to ask them:
- Why did they choose to become a childminder?
- How old are your children?
- Can they describe a typical day?
- How do you manage behaviour?
- What sort of activities will my child get involved with?
- Do you ever go out in the car?
- What to expect, when? A parents guide to children's learning and development in the early years foundation stage
- Statutory framework for the early years foundation stage A guide to the standards for learning, development and care for children from birth to five
- Childcare Choices A government guide to the childcare choices available to you
- SCA Parent Booklet This Booklet explains what an Agency Registered Childminder is and how they differ from an Ofsted Registered Childminder